Legal Aid October Programs Planned | News, Sports, Jobs
Community Legal Aid offers programs in October for anyone who may need legal assistance or is interested in legal matters such as tenants’ rights.
Programs are taught by lawyers and are free and open to the public, unless otherwise specified.
Community Legal Aid is a 501(c)3 nonprofit law firm serving the legal needs of low-income people in eight counties in central and northeastern Ohio, including Mahoning and Trumbull.
The following community legal aid events can be found at www.community
legalaid.org/events. Interested parties should call the Legal Aid Hotline at 800-998-9454.
• An eviction prevention clinic is scheduled at 4:00 pm on Tuesdays where participants learn about tenants’ rights and options if faced with an eviction. A workshop on housing conditions and tenants’ rights is offered the second and fourth Thursdays of the month at 4 p.m.
• A Foreclosure Prevention Course is offered the first and third Thursday of the month starting at 5:00 pm. The course will teach the foreclosure process and options for homeowners going through a foreclosure.
• A presentation on parent access rights is scheduled from 11:00 am to 12:30 pm on October 11th. More information is available at www.communitylegalaid.org/parenthood.
• A legal clinic focusing on sealing records and debt issues will be held from 5:00 to 7:00 p.m. on October 11th.
• Legal Aid presentations on tax evasion and identity theft will be held at 11 am on October 11 at the Howland Senior Center, 8273 High St.; 11:45 a.m. Oct. 12 at the Niles SCOPE Center, 14 E. State St.; and 2:30 p.m. on October 13 at the Warren SCOPE Center, 375 N. Park Ave.
• A “Ask a Lawyer” The Facebook Live event is set for 5 p.m. on October 12 when members of the public can ask civil legal questions related to housing, debt, family, law, public benefits and more. Participants can register online at www.facebook.com/CommLegalAid.
• Veterans can speak with a lawyer to be screened for free legal assistance. Clinics in Akron and Youngstown are now hosted in person, but pre-registration is required for all clinics open to veterans in Columbiana, Mahoning and Trumbull counties.
The Carl Nunziato VA Clinic on Belmont Avenue in Youngstown will host the attorney from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. on October 19. Call 330-740-9200, ext. 447700 to pre-register.
• For Trumbull County residents only, a legal aid office is available at the Trumbull County Family Court, 220 Main Ave. SW 9 a.m. to noon Tuesday and 1 p.m. to 4 p.m. Thursday. Self-represented parties in juvenile custody cases can speak to a lawyer for legal information.
• Legal assistance for victims of domestic violence or sexual assault is available at 5:30 p.m. on Wednesdays. Residents can discuss with an attorney legal rights related to divorce, custody/visitation, debt/bankruptcy, sealing of records, evictions, protective orders, etc. Pre-register by calling 330-983-2573.
• A Legal Aid presentation outlining the Fair Housing Act is scheduled for October 25 at 10 a.m. at the Warren Board of Education, 105 High St. NE. Participants can learn more about the rights and responsibilities of tenants.