Raúl Ruidíaz named MLS player of the week

0

SEATTLE, WASHING. – Sounders FC forward Raúl Ruidíaz has been voted Major League Soccer Player of the Week for Week 14 of the 2021 MLS season. The Peruvian scored the game-winning goal in Seattle’s 1-0 victory Thursday night over Austin FC at Q2 Stadium.

After coming on as a second-half substitute, Ruidíaz scored the winner for Seattle in dramatic fashion, giving him exclusive possession of first place in the 2021 MLS Golden Boot race. In the 67th minute, after having jumped on a clearance error just inside the midfield, Ruidíaz grabbed Austin goalkeeper Brad Stuver out of his line and smashed a cambered shot from 40 yards that flew just above his arms strained from Stuver and into the net. The Peruvian now has 53 goals in 78 MLS appearances (including the playoffs) since joining Sounders FC in the 2018 summer transfer window.

The goal capped an impressive road victory for Rave Green, who became the first team in MLS history to field five teenagers in the starting XI, with a sixth on a substitute in the stoppage time. of the second half. Brian Schmetzer’s roster on Thursday was the second youngest by average age for a game in MLS history, according to Elias Sports Bureau.

The MLS Player of the Week is selected each week of the regular season through media and fan voting in a process led by MLS Communications. A panel of journalists from the North American Soccer Reporters (NASR) comprises 75% of the vote, while a fan vote on Twitter accounts for the remaining 25%. NASR is made up of members of the print, television, radio and online media.

After playing two road games in five days, Seattle returns to Emerald City in preparation for a critical home game on Sunday, July 25. Brian Schmetzer’s side ended their three-game week with a game against Sporting Kansas City on Sunday, pitting the Western Conference’s top two games against each other on the shores of Puget Sound. Kick-off is scheduled for 6:00 p.m. PST at Lumen Field (JOEtv, Prime Video, 950 KJR AM, El Rey 1360 AM).


Source link

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.